Friday, November 30, 2007
Here are my 7 Things:
1.) I wanted to be a farmer when I grew up. I'm 29 now, and I still want to have a farm. The happiest times of my life that I can remember were on the farm that we ran when I was a kid. We had sheep, cows, turkeys, chickens, goats, rabbits, pigs, horses (briefly), cats, and we even had a dog for a week.
2.) We are currently owned by two rescue Akitas--Sumo and Pearl. I would rather adopt an older dog from a rescue organization than buy a puppy from a breeder. If I seem a little snippy about that, I apologize. That's just how I am--I would rather give a home to a dog who really NEEDS it than pay money for a small, whiney poop machine. You will never see a puppy grace my home.
3.) I make the best oatmeal cookies ever. I'm serious. I got the recipe from a friend of ours in Iowa. She created it herself. If you want the recipe, I'll send it to you, but you have to promise never to tell anyone what my super-secret special ingredient is. :)
4.) I used to think that Christmas was my favorite holiday, but I have realized over the years that Halloween is my favorite holiday because I love horror movies, haunted houses, dressing up as something else, and especially eating candy!
5.) I am going to school to be a Math teacher. I wish I had started school for this earlier, because the more I research Mathematics, the more I want to learn, and I want to continue taking Math classes. I want to go to MIT and do something cool, like be an Astrophysicist, Propulsion Engineer, or something that involved complex mathematics because I LOVE IT. REALLY. I LOVE MATH. Maybe I will just take summer courses every year for the rest of my life?
6.) I am a stepdaughter as well as a stepmother. I love my stepkids and my stepdad. I have no biological kids, and I don't care much for my biological father.
7.) I have two tattoos. This one is on the small of my back. Both are dragons.
I don't have a photo of the other tattoo, between my shoulderblades. Sometimes I wish I hadn't gotten two tattoos that I will never be able to see. I want to get another tattoo someday of Rosie the Riveter.
Hope you all enjoyed reading these.
I have a carrot cake recipe that I am going to post soon that is TO DIE FOR. We call it "Akita Carrot Cake" because it is SO fantastic, just like our Keeters!!
Thursday, November 29, 2007
1. I love the cold weather. Positively love it. I'm from California originally, and summer is great, but man, today it was so cold I had to wear my long underwear, and I was thrilled!
2. I am a pretty good judge of character, and as such have some of the best friends in the world.
3. I'm incredibly sensitive, and I think that other people tend to see that as a weakness and exploit it.
4. If I could be anything in the world, careerwise, other than a social worker, it would be Mimi in the Broadway production of Rent or Tinkerbell at Disneyland.
5. I own upwards of 45 pairs of shoes.
6. Right now my favorite food is cinnamon toast.
7. Since my brother left for bootcamp on Sunday, I've pretty much been wearing something of his every day.
There you go! Whew, it's done!
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
~ Wassail ~
1 gallon apple cider
1 quart orange juice
1 cup lemon juice
1 large can pineapple juice
24 whole cloves
4 cinnamon sticks
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan, over medium heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
Strain and serve hot. Refrigerate to store.
Makes 1 1/2 gallons.
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
- i don't particularly like capital letters (as you can tell).
- i'm the oldest of seven sisters, no brothers.
- i love diet coke with lime, chocolate in many forms, and microwave popcorn.
- one of my earliest memories is of being on a ferry boat near seattle. another is of a thunderstorm.
- i hate to put clean clothes on a dirty body. i shower in the morning and once i’m dressed generally that’s it. i will sometimes dress “down” into sweats and a tshirt, but i will never dress “up” without another shower.
- i hate to wear shoes. i'm almost always barefoot indoors, and unless it's really snowy, i'm usually wearing my favorite sandals outdoors.
- i don't particularly like having my photo taken, so i'm not sure if i'll get something posted before friday - but i'll think about it!
1)I constantly have a song in my head. In fact, if you hang out with me in person, you would find me humming. I wouldn't realize that I was humming or possibly what I was humming. I have had a few patient's notice and comment, that's how I found out.
2)I like sports. I watch football, basketball, and baseball by choice. And it didn't start because of my dad or any boyfriend. I just like sports.
3) I like to drive fast.
4) I have a goal of visiting each of the 50 states before I die.
5)I grew up on a farm.
6)I have held a 1 lb child in my hand.
7) I love cucumbers, but hate pickles. explain that one....
So who is next?
Monday, November 26, 2007
Anyway, here are my 7 random things:
1. I'm a school Psychologist part time
2. I love to snowboard with my kids (and hubby too) and have been snowboarding since collage.
3. I use to weigh 300 pounds (had Gastric bypass 8 years ago- wish I could say I lost it the hard way but I didn't-- but it worked)
4. I have 2 sons (bio ages 7 and 9) and we adopted our daughter from China in May 2007 and she just turned a year-- ya Mia
5. My hubby and I have been together since we were 16 years old (we are now both 35-uggg)
6. I could shop everyday all day (I genuinely love to shop) nonstop in heels-- seriously, I suffer through the pain for fashion sake
7. I hate to clean my house. I will keep it picked up and the couches fluffed but you will not catch me deep cleaning. Cant afford to pay a house cleaner but we do for the sake of cleanliness.
2) I am allergic to seaweed!
3) I had back surgery resulting in a car accident in 1984 and have titanium rods fused to my spine. (No back pain or problems thankfully!)
4) I love listening to and singing along with music (anything from Pop to Jazz).
5) I'm a middle child!
6) I enjoy hiking, photography, scrapbooking and travel.
7) I went kayaking in New Zealand.
Here are my 7 things that Christine asked for a while back:
1. I'm not a "holiday" person. Instead of forcing myself to feel like certain days are holidays, I try to make every day a holiday. Kind of corny, but Ivy and I celebrated the last day of using her baby carseat a few years back and that was one of my favorite holidays ever! Other than that, my birthday is my FAVE day of the year.
2. Although I'm not going to Artfest this year, I am participating in one of their extracurricular activities. I've joined the "fatbook" group twice! Sometime in April I will get 2 fatbooks with about 40 pages each, one of which will be my submission. The theme is "forest floor". I've been working on my page all day and I'm not too pleased yet. But, it will get there.
3. My fave part of the thanksgiving meal is stuffing.
4. This year, my spa partner and I went to black angus for Thanksgiving. We both had prime rib and lobster. I could so get used to that!
5. I'm craving stroganoff for dinner.
6. I'm totally into winter hats this year. My first one that I bought about a week ago for $15 has been worn 4 out of the last 7 days. The other one I've worn once. I barely have to wear a coat I'm so warm.
7. I've regained my rockstar status in the eyes of my nephew Juju. This weekend he asked me specifically to play guitar for his band, 'roadkill'. Yep, he's eating his hat and I'm loving it!
Who's next? Let's get to know each other!!
Like Melissa's blog says. . . "Just Me!"
And since we are a creative lot, I thought I'd make a little competition of it. Try and be creative with your shots because I have a special gift for the Best Photo! (BTW, I'm the judge!) :)
I'll post a pic of me when I get home. And of course I can't compete. Anyways, I'm already a winner with friends like you gals! (
**Did I hear a groan?**
Here are a few simple rules/guidelines:
• Please be horizontal.
• Post sometime before the end of the month.
• You and you alone are the model.
• Try and be as current as possible.
And most importantly, submit something! I want to see your bright shining faces!
Friday, November 23, 2007
While it's nice to see my friends' out there spending the day doing something they love, I prefer to avoid shopping on Black Friday. Rather, I like starting earlier in the year, at least by October, casually buying things that pop out at me as a great gift for 'Uncle Matty' or 'Cousin Joe.' My all-time favorite way to shop is online. It's so relaxed and convenient. Best yet, my two energetic children are usually asleep in their beds at night when I am free to peruse the plethora of online shops. Online shopping has so much to offer and is so easy that it makes me sometimes question why anyone would choose to spend their time driving to a mall, fighting large crowds or standing in long lines to pay for something, especially on Black Friday. I guess it just comes down to choice. Would you rather buy a bra online or in the store? I've done both my friends. I've done both, but not on Black Friday!
Thursday, November 22, 2007
I love reasons to celebrate--whatever it may be. It gives me something to look forward to. After New Years Eve, we don't celebrate much. The next holiday is Valentines, which is usually a big letdown anyway. So I will soak up every bit of these three months so that perhaps when January gets here I will have enough "gas" to get me through until the spring.
All the above makes me happy! :)
When I was younger I decided that I would celebrate the holidays a certain way. It took me a long time to be able to implement my decision with my husband(s) but the last couple of years, I have stuck to my guns and have compromised as much as possible, but I was able to decide what I thought was best.
Last year and today have been wonderful so far. About as stress free as it can be with 2 kids!
Having a choice makes me happy in many situations. Not having a choice is a sure sign to make me NOT happy.
Happy Thanksgiving, buds.
Saturday, November 17, 2007
So I posted on my other blog recently that my cousin, Joe, who lives with us, has decided to stop sharing a room with my brother Chris. He's moved into our cupboard under the stairs, Harry Potter style. He even calls it his secret lair. He also tried calling my mom Aunt Petunia, but that didn't last very long. He loves sleeping down there, and moved his little bed down. Weirdo!
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Yesterday our PCP facility was closed for Veteran's Day. Mr. Bec started a fever on Saturday which got worse until Monday. I took him in to our "urgent care" center first thing in the morning, which was at 730 am. We walked right in and were home by the time Chris had to leave for work.
Today, the spider bite on my leg turned suspicious. All red and hot and swollen and hurting. I called our PCP facility and there were absolutely no appointments available today or tonight. So, off I headed to urgent care. I was seen quickly and professionally by a different doctor than Bec had before.
To have the middle ground of urgent care in between the PCP office and the emergency room is close to having it all. It's all about the options.
I really don't mean to be spammy but I thought you all might like to know about this wonderful shopping opportunity, especially in time for Christmas.
I sell Arbonne skin and healthcare products. I don't really advertise or announce it much except around Christmas-time since it does make really wonderful gifts. I personally recommend the Awaken Sea Salt Scrub. It is my favorite product! During the holiday season only, you can get smaller containers of it. They come in sets of three and are perfect for stocking stuffers, gift bags or little happies for people on your lists.
The Arbonne Hand Cream is also divine and also makes great happy gifts.
Should you want to order anything from Arbonne, this is how you will register on the site to buy through me. It is really very handy as you can use your credit card, have it shipped directly to you (no coming through me first) and I will get consultant credit for it.
THANK YOU in advance!
Steps for Client Registration:
Go to the Arbonne site and go to America - English.
Once there, click Shop Online.
Click Login (near the top of the page).
Once you are on the next page, go to the right block side and click on Client Registration.
On the next page, it will say Register Now - Enter Your Consultant’s ID.
My ID is 15993379
Then register with your Name, Address, Etc.
After registration, you can shop and get whatever you need, pay via Credit Card and have it shipped directly to your home.
This seems like a lot of instructions I know, but I don’t think it will be so long when you actually get in there.
If you have any problems or product questions, please let me know!
Thanks and happy shopping!
My good friend Jessica over at FunkyFinds is having a crafty giveaway. She is giving away not one but TWO (to two different winners) Stitch swag bags. To enter, go to this post and leave a comment saying which of the vendors outlined in her post are your favorites. Don't worry... she has it all set up so that you can visit each store and find out what each has to offer. Some REALLY cool craftiness involved! Check it out!
- Link to the person that tagged you, and post the rules on your blog.
- Share 7 random and/or weird facts about yourself.
- Tag 7 random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
- Let each person know that they’ve been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
I'll start us off. I think it would be nice if we EACH postetd our own answers for this so that everyone can be sure to see everyone else's answers. That okay?
Okay, here goes...
7 Random and/or Weird Facts About Me:
- I had a tractor accident when I was 16 that severed my middle toe on my right foot. They sewed it back on but it is totally dead on the end.
- I love to drink pickle juice. Over ice... Mmmmmmmmmm...
- I had extensive back surgery when I was 18. I have a steel rod screwed to my spine now and an missing a rib on the left side (it was also fused to my spine).
- I have over 2,000 books.
- I collect anything having to do with the Eiffel Tower or France, vintage Kokeshi dolls, vintage atomizers, seashells and ACEOs.
- I like bananas but not banana flavored things.
- I love subtitled movies. I'll turn the subtitles on an English language movie sometimes just because I like to read the screen.
Sunday, November 11, 2007
Computer Free Friday
The Collaboration Station
Nourishment for the Spirit
100 Things in 1,001 Days (I've been doing this one on my blog)
Keri Smith Fun Stuff
Be Brave Project
Freedom from Self-Improvement Day
A Week of Positive Blogging
Ten Thousand Villages
Ornaments for Charity
Celebrity Face Recognitions
One Small Change
(Note: Many of these blog exercises will be seen on my own blog in the coming weeks and months. Just to warn you... :))
Wow... this is quite enough. Okay, I will admit that I didn't find ALL of these in one afternoon of surfage. I will tell you, however, what I did NOT find... a reasonably priced best friends customizable Christmas ornament!! Don't you think there would be tons of such to choose from around this time of year? One would think... Le sigh...
Wednesday, November 7, 2007
If I could be on a television show to showcase my talent, what would it be? Dancing with the Stars? Top Chef (that would be Chris). American Idol, no way. Singing Bee? Possibly. America's Next Top Model? I couldn't stand the heat or the catty competition or being bossed around. The Apprentice wouldn't let me in the door and I would pay money to NOT be on Survivor or Amazing Race. I need my food and I'm such a wuss. When people speak of "pain threshold" I honestly believe I was born with the most non functioning one.
But LA Ink? Oh, I could so hang with those gals! Could I tattoo anyone to save my arse? No, but after I saw Steve-O do a tattoo, I know that I could do one. I would sign up to be shop janitor, floor mopper and bathroom scrubber to be on that show.
The tattoo talent is sick, especially Corey's work. I love the fact that it shows every one of the artists as human, even if they look different. Or if you might be scared of their clothes, hair and such. They have families. They love their kids and their parents. They are obsessed with their art. They have to make a living like everyone else.
The stories behind their client's tattoos slay me. I'm always crying at some point in the show. Especially the tattoos that honor the deceased, since that is right up my alley. Did you see the one with the guy that had his little daughters portrait done? She died when she was two from a genetic disorder~TEARS!!!
If I only had the balls to get more tattoos! but, I've started with one and you have to start someplace! Whenever I watch, I'm mesmerized by the beauty, style and individuality of these women. I can't take my eyes off of the screen. And their friendship and loyalty to each other is inspiring.
If you haven't yet seen the show, check it out. You'll be wanting to channel your inner Kat Von D. AND, if Chris and I ever have another girl, we would seriously consider naming her Pixie. Not after the show, but we liked it from years ago. My mom vetoed it since she said it sounded like a stripper name. She's out ranked if there is a next time!
Hey Kelly ~ can you photo shop me into the above pic for my christmas present??
I am pretty picky about the scents that I'm around. I'm not a floral, sweet scent type of gal. I tend to favor the more medicinal smells as opposed to something like vanilla (ick). I got a sample of this baby bath when I was pregnant with Ivy. Not only did it rescue us when she was a tiny one and had a cold, I fell in love with the smell. Every time the bottle looks like it is getting low, I buy a new one so I'm not caught without it. It is one of my standbys! And it is cheap!
Last night I took a hot bath after everyone was asleep. I turned out all of the lights so the bathroom was pitch black. I used the baby bath and the smell was strong but exactly what I wanted. Heaven right before bed.
Monday, November 5, 2007
I'll answer my questions now and then add more as needed so you can get to know me, and if there is anything you want to know about me, just ask!! :)
1. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?!
Hmm, for me, I'd say I'd go someplace with a warm sandy beach-- let's pick Hawaii for now! mm, yes, I love the beach! Although in my wildest dreams I'd love to go to Wales and Scotland someday, ohh, and I'd love to see Australia!! :)
2. When you were little, what did you want to do "when you grew up?" Are you doing it?
When I was little I wanted to be a mommy. Yes I'm doing it. 2ndly I wanted to be a teacher. Yes, I did that too! :)
3. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
4. What is your favorite color?
I love blue.. but I'm a pink girl :)
5. What do you love to do? What hobbies do you get caught up in?
Reading, my computer, (blogging, chatting, facebook), music, hanging out with family and friends
6. What is your favorite movie?
The Wedding Singer, White Christmas, Singing in the Rain, The Notebook
7. What do you think your life purpose is?
Ahh, the question of the hour. At the moment I'm on a mission to be the best mom and wife. Anything else is extra.. I know that my life purpose is to reach lost souls for Christ, that everything is about Him, and nothing is about me.. but if Im being honest I'm still working on that one, because of my selfish nature.
8. What is the thing that brings you happiness on a DAILY basis?
My children. Their smiles and laughter. Good morning, Momma!
9. What is your favorite book?
I tend to go by authors rather then books: Jodi Picoult, Nicholas Sparks, Karen Kingsbury, Debbie Macomber, to name a few..
10. What is one thing you would like to try or do before you die?
Wow.. I don't know. I guess this one needs more thought! One easy answer is learn how to knit, lol
Sunday, November 4, 2007
I took this photo on October 8 during a break between some rainy weather and the snow we later got. But today was similar to that day. Just terrific!